Wednesday, September 22, 2010

1 in 20 Australians have been victims of scams

Hard to believe but true, recent statistics from the NSW Department of Fair Trading have highlighted a growing epidemic of scam related crime in Australia.  Today's online world has opened a flood gate of cyber-crime and made it much easier for these criminals to get you to part with your hard earned money.



I myself recently was caught in a scam that ran a job in our local newspaper.  The ad was very large and looked very professional.  The ad claimed they were a marketing company looking for mystery shoppers in our area.  It sounded like the perfect second job so I sent in my resume and application letter by email as the ad requested.

Within 24 hours I had an email saying I was successful and that they would forward me my first job in the next 24 -48 hours.  I thought great, I am going to get paid for doing what I like to do best - shopping!  While I expected that I would get a phone call about my first job, I didn't instead they emailed me account details to use my local post office's Western Union facility to see how helpful the staff were.  The catch was I had to send $500 of my own money and provide the company with the receipt details and my bank account so they could refund the money and also pay me for my service. 

Needless to say a red flag went up, so I decided to Google the marketing company.  What I found was a long list of Scam Report sites warning of this scam.  What was unusual in my case is they had advertised in our local paper, usually they only used employment websites or chat rooms to recruit people.  I was lucky, I can only imagine how many other people got caught by this trap, desperate people who needed the extra income or someone who had been long term unemployed may have been duped in to parting with their own money they could little afford to lose.

There are a million different scams, but they usually fall into the below categories. 

Phishing Scams
If you receive an email that appears to be from your bank asking for your account or personal details you can be sure it is a scam. Banks never ask customers for such information via email.

Work from Home Scams
Much like my own experience or they may offer huge amounts of money for little work, like data entry and require you to pay a joining fee.

Ring tone Scams
If you buy a ring tone online, be sure you what you are getting into. Some sites will quietly sign you up to a monthly subscription and then make it near impossible to cancel.

Nigerian Scams
Be very wary of anyone overseas offering to pay you for helping them transfer money out of their own country via your bank account.  Never disclose your bank details, not only could you lose your own money you could be aiding criminals in laundering dirty money.

Health Related Scams
The Internet is full of health related products that claim to be a miracle cure. Most are fakes and produce no results and some can even be harmful.

Online Auction Scams
While these auction sites can be great for picking up a bargain they can also be a trap.  Check sellers online ratings or for goods that seem much cheaper than competitors or to sellers that offer to sell to you more cheaply in a direct deal.  Major auction sites provide buyers with valuable protection but only if your trade within the system.

Where to go for help

For info on recent scams that are doing the rounds visit www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au or phone 1300 302 502

For info on reporting a scam go to www.scamwatch.gov.au
or phone 1300 302 502

If you think your details may have been put at risk contact your bank asap to notify them of your concerns.

For any other advice you can call Fair Trading on 13 32 20.

REMEMBER....If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.

Christie Birch

No comments:

Post a Comment